Monday, April 1, 2013

Party Planning

Sugarbaby turns one on Saturday. One. A whole year old.  We are throwing her a party.

I hate throwing parties.  I basically overdid it, OD'd on parties with the first three.  They had shindigs every year, themed galas with magnificent cakes and entertainment.  Marionette puppet shows, costume parties, I was that mom.  Mind you, astronaut and squirrel's birthdays are nine days apart, followed by Halloween 12 days later, Lettuce's birthday 20 days later, Thanksgiving up to a week later, my birthday 2-3 weeks later, princess' birthday 3 DAYS later, Christmas a week after that and then New Year's.

Exactly. 10 hellish weeks.

Then,  I realized that I was creating my own misery by falling into the birthday party pressure. I realized I was spending a lot of money for something the kids wouldn't even remember. I realized that I myself am only certain of 2 parties-my first and a sleepover when I was 11 or 12. 

Yet I continued to get older.

So I stopped. Cold turkey. My friends were shocked.

That is not to say we don't celebrate birthdays.  We do, with cake and presents and a family dinner. Birthday kid's choice. They love it.  It's their day, their special day.

And guess what-they keep getting older.

But Sugarbaby is turning one, and a party she shall have!

No comments:

Post a Comment